Crash dieting is popularly known as the fastest way to lose weight. This method will allow you to lose the first few pounds, but your body could be burning muscles and not fat. Your weight loss goal should focus on torching the unwanted body fat, while retaining (and gaining) muscle mass. More muscles mean faster metabolism. Besides, depriving yourself will only cause you to eat more, making this method a short-term solution.
The only way to permanently get rid of those unwanted inches and pounds is to live a healthy lifestyle. This includes doing regular exercise, eating the right amount and kinds of food, having ample sleep, and laughing more, among others. You do not need to starve yourself in order to lose weight. This is one of the major reasons behind binge eating. An effective weight loss requires mindful eating.
If you eat the right foods, your body will eventually shift from fat-storing to fat-burning mode. Healthy foods contain essential vitamins and nutrients that will help trigger that big switch, allowing your body to continuously convert calories into energy. While eating in controlled amounts will help you lose weight, consuming healthy foods will also keep your overall health in great shape. Eating unhealthy foods in moderation will still eventually lead to health problems later on.
Below are the seven vitamins and nutrients that will help you permanently melt fat. Note that you can also consume them in supplement form, in case your daily food intake is unable to complete the recommended dose for you.
7 Types Of Foods That Burn The Most Fat
Study shows that Vitamin D helps keep your overall health in great shape. It responds to a hormone called insulin, which is secreted from your pancreas and works by helping glucose enter your cells to be converted into energy. Insulin sensitivity is the term used to knowing how well the insulin is bringing the glucose into your body cells. If your body is highly sensitive to insulin, this means you will more likely store less fat cells.
Research also revealed that low levels of Vitamin D will cause your parathyroid hormone (PTH) levels to rise. PTH levels that are higher than normal will trigger reactions that lead to increased fat storage. Lack of Vitamin D may also hamper the production of leptin, a type of hormone that tells your brain to stop eating.
Best Sources of Vitamin D:
- Fatty fish, like tuna, mackerel, and salmon
- Foods fortified with vitamin D, like some dairy products, orange juice, soy milk, and cereals
- Beef liver
- Egg yolks
Calcium, like Vitamin D, also helps in boosting your body’s fat-burning capacity. This mineral stores itself in your fat cells. Scientists believe that having more calcium in your fat cells will promote weight loss as more fat will be released and converted into energy. In addition, calcium helps you lose weight by binding fat into your gastrointestinal tract, preventing unwanted fat from entering your bloodstream.
Best Sources Of Calcium:
- Leafy green vegetables – broccoli, collards (cabbage family), bok choy, Chinese cabbage and spinach. One cup of cooked spinach contains 100 mg, although only five per cent of this may be absorbed. This is due to the high concentration of oxalate, a compound in spinach that reduces calcium absorption. By contrast, one cup of cooked broccoli contains about 45 mg of calcium, but the absorption from broccoli is much higher at around 50–60 per cent.
- Soy and tofu – tofu (depending on type) or tempeh and calcium fortified soy drinks
- Fish – sardines and salmon (with bones). Half a cup of canned salmon contains 402 mg of calcium
- Nuts and seeds – brazil nuts, almonds and sesame seed paste (tahini). Fifteen almonds contain about 40 mg of calcium.
- Calcium-fortified foods – including breakfast cereals, fruit juices and bread. One cup of calcium-fortified breakfast cereal (40 g) contains up to 200 mg of calcium. ½ cup of calcium-fortified
- Orange juice (100 ml) contains up to 80 mg of calcium, and two slices of bread (30 g) provides 200 mg of calcium.
Protein helps maintain your body’s balance, where the amount of fat is proportioned to your muscle mass. Eating protein-rich foods will encourage muscle retention while promoting weight loss. Study shows that women who consumed protein twice daily lost more weight than those who took in less. These protein-loaded women were found to have gain more strength, as well, with their thigh muscles containing more protein at the end of their diet program.
Best Sources Of Protein:
- White-Meat Poultry
- Milk, Cheese, and Yogurt
- Pork Tenderloin
- Lean Beef
Omega-3 Fatty Acids
Omega-3 fatty acids aid in weight loss by waking up the enzymes that turn your body in fat-burning mode. They also help improve your overall mood, and may prevent you from stress-eating. Consuming omega-3-rich foods allow your brain to listen more closely to your body, turning off your appetite when you are full. This fatty acid can be found in fatty fish, with salmon being the number one source. You can also find omega-3 from foods like nuts and seeds.
Best Sources Of Omega-3:
- Mackerel (4107 mg per serving)
- Salmon (4023 mg per serving)
- Cod Liver Oil (2664 mg per serving)
- Herring (3181 mg per serving)
- Oysters (565 mg per serving)
- Sardines (2205 mg per serving)
- Anchovies (951 mg per serving)
- Caviar (1086 mg per serving)
Monounsaturated Fatty Acids (MUFAs)
Monounsaturated fatty acids are fats found in olive oil, nuts, seeds, peanut butter, avocados, and chocolates. MUFAs can help boost your fat-burning capacity throughout the day. Studies also found that MUFA-rich foods can aid in regulating your blood sugar levels, and reducing your appetite to avoid binge eating.
Best Sources Of Monounsaturated Fatty Acids:
- Canola oil
- Olive oil
- Safflower oil (high oleic)
- Sunflower oil
- Peanut oil and butter
- Sesame oil
Conjugated Linoleic Acid (CLA)
Conjugated Linoleic Acid, or CLA, are potent fat burners that are usually found in dairy products. These fatty acids form once the food is fermented by bacteria inside the tummy of ruminant animals, such as cows and sheeps. The CLAs will then make their way into the milk and meat of these animals. Consuming foods rich in CLAs will bring more glucose into your body cells, turning calories into energy and not fat stores.
Polyphenols are usually found in green tea. These natural chemicals contain antioxidants that help boost your resting metabolic rate, allowing your body to burn more fat than ever. You will usually feel this fat-torching effect after drinking your green tea. Your body will heat up, and convert calories into energy upon consumption.
Best Sources Of Polyphenols:
- Star anise
- Cocoa powder
- Mexican oregano, dried
- Celery seed
- Black chokeberry
- Dark chocolate
- Flaxseed meal
Do your best to incorporate these fat-burning nutrients, so you can achieve your fitness goals in no time. These vitamins and nutrients provide you a safe way of getting fit. Watch your food portions and maintain a healthy lifestyle for best results.
If you want to learn some fitness recipes that are easy to do, head to our Recipe’s section.